Sunday, October 30, 2011

ALDO

As a college student, one is supposed to start adding more experiences onto his/her resumé in an effort to help their future chances of getting a job (and gain a little extra cash). This for me was particularly difficult to do while living in Montreal because I am one of those unlucky people who doesn't speak French. I've attempted to get a job anywhere from a clothing boutique to an ice cream shoppe and nothing has come out in my favor SO in an attempt to gain experience I applied for an internship at ALDO Group.

My internship started the first week of school and I was very excited to start since I, like most other women in the world, have a slight obsession with shoes. Day 1 was very exciting as I have never worked in retail before and working in the business sector was new to me as well. However, I was expecting a normal office building sitting in the middle of downtown Montreal where everyone is too busy with their work to interact with each other. Once I arrived I knew that I was certainly under the wrong impression.

After the 30min metro and 20min bus ride, I walked up to a very pristine looking building with the word ALDO etched into the stone at the the top of the three story building. You could see from the outside that the building was symmetric, cut right through the middle. Walking in, one immediately notices that glass ceiling that allows an immense amount of light to highlight the buildings lovely features. The wooden floors also gave the office a "homey" feeling; stone stairways on each side of the main hall connected in the middle to form small bridges basically which gives the building an immediate sense of contemporary and modern design.

The building is also saturated with art; there are an infinite amount of paintings lining the halls of the building, along with various statues and random objects such as mini coopers and Dugati motorcycles! There are lines of glass beads hanging from the ceiling, starting from the entrance all the way to the back wall of the building. The overall design and structure of the building is something that I look forward to seeing every time I go; the people working there must love to work in an "office" that is so creatively designed. The great part about working at ALDO is that there are shoes littered everywhere! Since ALDO Group is made up of many brands such as LOCALE, Little Burgundy, and Feet First as well as ALDO, the shoes are literally endless (you can check some of the new ones out here! http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng). However, they are unfortunately not given out to employees for free :(

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to find office spaces that don't immediately drain the energy out of employees once they take a step into the building, and I can definitely say that it is much appreciated to work in an office where the atmosphere is friendly, and beautiful.

Treasure #4: The headquarters of ALDO Group

No comments:

Post a Comment